Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Failures I don’t Regret

Someone said, “Wise men learn from other’s mistakes, men learn from their own and fools benefit from neither.” I would consider myself to be a part of the second category, which has a fair share of mistakes as well as lessons from each one of them.

On completing my graduate studies, I was happy with my first decision to quit Bio-technology to pursue management. However, the happy feeling soon disappeared with the fright of the stiff entrance procedures, applications, competitive examinations, etc. involved with the entry to any of the known premier management institutes.

The big question was, do I take the same path which hundreds of other students of my age were taking and most of my well wishers had advised. I decided to accept the general trend to attaining success.

My first failure came when I did not clear the NMAT examination by barely two marks. I felt bad but did not cry.

My second failure was that I started doubting my capabilities just a few days after this examination. Advice was pouring in from all directions and at one point in time I almost decided to move to US for further studies.

My third failure was when I got surrounded with a cloud of doubts and confusion for a long time even after being selected to Flame, for which I had applied during this period and successfully cleared.

My nights became sleepless and it took me some time before I decided to introspect and weigh all the options which lay ahead of me. I decided to consider about Flame first as I had already been selected and had felt an attachment when I had appeared for the examination.

I looked back at the day I appeared for FEAT and realized that the entire process was innovative in the manner that it took into consideration almost every aspect of an individual. I read more about it and realized the strong values on which the foundation of this institute is built. The list of faculty members and the advisory council perhaps could not have been more impressive and intellectual.

What was I doing sitting and meditating in my room, when I should have been excited at my selection? Why was I brooding when I should have started my preparations?

I decided that I would walk the path less trodden. A path which involved the challenge of becoming a part of an institution which though new, but had the vision to help me achieve my dreams. I decided to break away from the general trend of the world in the journey of my life.

Then, came the day when I met up with the faculty and the actual geniuses who were behind Flame. I didn’t have any more doubts after that.

I was happy that I was going to be a part of an institution, which believes in the independence of the mind to set it free to wander in search of the course that it wants to chart. I was happy that I was going to be a part of Flame where I would be hand-held at every step I take by the faculty especially at a time when it would be the first time when I stay away from the comforts of my home at Ahmedabad.

Today, when I look back at all the failures I had and also the tough times where I went through a multitude of negative emotions, I don’t regret it any more. I guess that life had to throw the best deal to me in the form of Flame. Though, Flame is yet to prove itself completely, I have already started to believe in myself. I am now confident of making a mark and standing strong on my feet after the two years which I spend in this ‘gurukul’.


Shimoli Shah
Flame School of Business
Foundation for Liberal and Management Education, Pune

No comments: